The cost of painting a room can vary a little depending on the paint you use, the size of the room, the amount of materials used and the paint you have hidden in the garage. Another aspect to keep in mind is whether walls should be prepared before being painted. You will have to take a little time to find out all the things you need to do the project and then do a small comparison of paint and hardware prices at your local home improvement.
- Measure the square footage of the room. Measure the length and width of each wall and multiply them. Add the square feet of all the walls together to find the total amount. Add the ceiling if you are going to paint it too. If you are going to paint the edges, you will have to do the same measurement to find your square feet. Since the edges are usually painted with a high-gloss paint, it calculates their cost separately.
- Choose the type of paint you want to use and read on the label how much it covers. On the label you will see the amount of square meters that you will cover. Calculate the cost of the amount of cans you will need. If the measure of square feet is close to what supplies the contents of a can, add an extra can. This way you will have some extra paint if the wall is marked or scratched.
- Decide if it is necessary to prepare the walls. If the plaster is new or if it has a dark color, you will have to prepare the walls to repaint them. You’ll also find the base coverage on the labels. Calculate the cost and quantity of base cans you will need.
- Measure the length of the edges of the room. Look at the painter’s tape label to see how many feet of line you’ll cover. Calculate the price of as many rolls of tape as painter’s tapes you need to cover the edges of the wall.
- You will need a six-pack of plush rolls, calculate their cost. Some paints work best with a certain plush roller. You will also need a roller frame for each person you paint. Add a tray or two for the paint and if you like to keep it clean, add a few dollars to the tray cover.
- Determine the type of brush you will need. Since the cost of the brushes can vary enormously, decide if you want to invest in the high quality or some designed only for this job. Whatever type of brushes you decide to buy, add the price of two more just in case.
- Solve if you want to buy tarpaulins. The canvases are also necessary for painting. If you want to save money on them, you can use old sheets or blankets that you have there. Otherwise, add at least one canvas to the cost.
- Add to the price a paint remover for accidental spills or blemishes. It’s good to have one if you spill some paint on your edge or closet. This way, you can eliminate it immediately. Add it to your total cost.
- Add the prices of all your items to the list, and you will have the cost to paint your room. If you are getting someone to paint your room for you, then you will have to add the cost of labor. That price should be the usual cost of a painter in your area.